Wednesday, August 29, 2012

There's Something About Mary

Mary was chosen to be the mother of the Messiah.  In my youth I was taught to pray to her and ask for her favor.  I was told that Mary could bring my requests to Jesus for me.  We were taught a prayer to Mary: "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.  Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen."

As I grew and eventually surrendered my life to Christ, by His grace, I understood this elevation of Mary was sinful.  I saw the devotion to Mary and "the saints" as idolatry. Roman Catholicism is wrong to teach people to pray to any other beside God. 


In my zeal, in my quest for purer doctrine, I turned against Mary.  Hear me clearly, I turned against Mary.  Recently, I heard someone else mention a virtual disgust for Mary as a result of their Roman Catholic upbringing (this person is now a Christian).  However, I realized in short order that Mary was not the problem.  The teaching of a perverted devotion was the problem.


Mary was a woman of God.  Joseph was blessed to have her as a wife; women have a great role model in the faith in Mary.  God picked a fallen woman, as all have sinned and fall short of God's glory, to carry His Son in order that salvation could come to undeserving man.  Mary was obedient even though it would cost her ridicule and harassment.  She would be viewed in very unflattering ways.  Mary put God's will above her own comfort, honor and reputation.


God chose Mary and she was an awesome choice. She is not to be resented because of Roman Catholic heresy.  There was something wonderful about Mary- she was a woman of God.


Pete Garbacki is a minister with Time for Truth Ministries and Mission.Brasil.  Follow him on Twitter @mission_brasil or FaceBook at http://www.facebook.com/pete.garbacki.

No comments:

Post a Comment